View Single Post
Old
12-01-2013, 12:58 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Could it have something to do with them having to find a new location for MSG in the coming years?
They have absolutely no plans of moving. Dave Howard said they would've needed to find a place by around 2012 if they were going to move by 2020, so it's not even in the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
You're actually completely correct, and I definitely didn't convey that properly.

Financial companies look for backgrounds like Engineering, Physics, Comp Sci (such a good degree to get for both of these industries) and Finance.

I was more referring to the fact that I know you will find a ton of Philosophy and Art History majors at major management consulting companies. That's something I personally haven't encountered at companies like JP Morgan, GS, etc.
Completely agreed. They exist, but you have to have the analytical mindset going in and that's rare in those kinds of majors. It's kind of like a philosophy major going to med school. It happens, but you need the science background anyway.

Totally agreed on the comp sci bit. I'm a 4th year applied math/physics dual major at a pretty heavily recruited school here in NYC, but I picked up a comp sci minor for that very reason. Many employers want you to have a working knowledge of at least Python and C++. Two of my friends (also APAM majors) have full time offers from Goldman for next year and they didn't know a lick about finance before studying for interviews for internships last year. They just learned everything on the job and it really isn't a hard learning curve if you have an analytical background to begin with. Then again, not the lifestyle for everyone.
I, personally, like having time to actually spend the money I earn

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote