View Single Post
Old
01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
#37-#93-#27*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Mixed feelings about the trade

8 months ago I hated it, 5 hours ago I hated it but seeing how the deal has broken down I can not complain, in fact I'm excited to have Jagr on this team as pathetic as that sounds.

I don't have any expectations other then his continued production of this season which should be the norm now but I have high hopes he will perform to a higher level. At his worst he's our best player. The last time we had a star that wanted to come here with *almost* no concerns about performance was Bure, he did the job.

What changed my views was the 20 million we got in the deal. Jagr for 4 years/24 mill is a bargain in my eyes. Not to mention we get rid of probably our most ineffective forward not named Hlavac. I think the intangibles of the deal are very good, much better then any other trade we've been part of. I'm not trying to sugar coat this because it is essentially a repeat of our other big deals that haven't worked but I do want to point out the upside here is much greater and more likely to happen. Jagr improves our PP which has been a huge problem, maybe Sather will finally use Holik as a shut down player rather then an offensive guy (I won't hold my breath), Lindros I think will benefit the most, pressure is off Kovalev, Nedved could find chemistry again. The biggest thing about Jagr is that he doesn't need to rely on other players to score, something it seems everyone besides Bure needed. I'm excited about those possibilities and more then pleased with the financial outcome of the deal.

Don't forget, it was likely Lindros and/or Kovalev would have been resigned at the end of the season. Now that we have Jagr, it's very possible neither would be. Which of these choices would you rather have?

Jagr 6 mill/4
Kovalev 6 mill/?
Lindros 6 mill/?