Old
12-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
In the NFL future picks are worth less, I would think its the same in the NHL. A 2014 1st round pick does not equal a 2015 1st round pick, its worth less.

Its just impossible to predict the future that far ahead, but right now a team could make a very good prediction where they may finish. Even predicting what a 16 year old will be in a couple years is hard.

So IMO I would think GM's would want the pick they know the most about rather than take a risk. I love what Regier did with Vanek. The Islanders will not give up a top pick, thats exactly why they did that. They arent going to predict where they finish in 2015 draft. I think Regier was fine with any scenario because he was committed to tanking a couple years.
It's not the same in the NHL. The NFL requires draft picks to contribute immediately, the NHL isn't anything like that. Trading a future first round draft picks almost never happens in the NHL because it can blow up in your face massively. Things are different in the Islanders case, because it'd be a known very good (top 5) pick vs an unknown, but in almost every other case the unknown is favored. It's certainly nothing like the NFL.