Thread: Value of: Byfuglien to Philly
View Single Post
Old
12-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Currently we seem to. Goal production hasn't been that good. But what are we supposed to do? Ladd - Little - Wheeler is a good 1st line but they're prone to slumps at times. Halischuk - Scheifele - Frolik are carrying this team currently, so they shouldn't be broken up. That leaves Kane - Jokinen - Setoguchi. Who do we upgrade there? The person that leaves that line, do they go to the 4th line or do they get traded?
I think where we are differing is the time frame you and I are looking at.

If I'm a GM is dealing a piece like Buff, looking at the current roster during the season in which we are most likely not going to make the playoffs, and wondering which guys are going to be immediately replaced is not my perspective. If I'm moving a piece like Buff, I'm thinking next year, and most likely the next 5+ years after.

At that, and not counting on prospects, I'm looking at LLW and Kane as my only top 6 forwards next year. Maybe Scheifele if he keeps on his pace of improvements, but another year on the 3rd line would be where I would want to plan on slotting him in.

So if OJ is not re signed, and Seto possibly walking, we have LLW as the defacto 1st line, and then Kane and no one else next year (right now) as the second line. We then have Scheifele and Frolik as 2 forwards on the 3rd line. All of Halischuk, Tangradi, etc, should be upgraded as they are all better 4th liners than 3rd.

If I'm the GM dealing Buff, I see those as much bigger holes than LHD. Sure Clitsome isn't who we want as the #4, but if OJ and Seto don't come back, we literally don't have 2 NHL level second liners next year to play with Kane.

So yes, if I was the GM and did trade Buff for some forwards, I would just push some of our current guys down a line or two. Moving Buff for me wouldn't have anything to do at this point in trying to somehow make the playoffs this season. It would be a setup to things in the upcoming seasons.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote