View Single Post
Old
12-03-2013, 03:35 PM
The Dream
User Registered

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I would love to have Ekblad as a future cornerstone of the defense but this move would definitely weaken this team short and mid-term.

They would not have to bother about getting a sniper for G for the next 3-5 years because this would probably mark the earliest term Ekblad and Morin would be ready to shoulder the load on defense. Why overpay for another missing piece now if the team as a whole is not even close to become a contender?

It really sucks that our forward corps and defense are that far apart age-wise.
IMO I would trade them while their value is high. Don't get me wrong I love Simmonds, but I have seen nothing that would make me think he can be a solid winger for the next 4-5 years for the Flyers.

The same goes for Coburn, his value is very high right now and probably will remain high till the end of the season. I have heard that Coburn could fetch you a decent mid-range first round pick. Simmonds could also fetch you a mid-first round pick at best. If you could couple them in a trade with a 1st round pick possibly we can get a true franchise defenseman, which can not be undervalued. Also if the Flyers are not in contention for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, Timonen may waive his NTC, and he could also fetch a first rounder.

We will lose Timonen, and Meszaros next year so assuming the Flyers trade Coburn, they will need to fill 3 roster spots. Gustafsson and Ekblad should be able to fill a spot, then we could pick up a free agent defenseman like Girardi or Pitkanen. So it is possible our d could look like this next year

Pitkanen - Streit
Schenn - Ekblad
Grossmann - Gustafsson

It definitely could be better but, the future would look bright on D, with Morin, Hagg and Ghost waiting in the wings.

We still may have enough cap room to pick up a decent sniper, but nothing to really supplement Giroux on that first line. We just have to hope that some of our players namely, Voracek and Read step up to be first line players.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote