View Single Post
Old
12-03-2013, 04:04 PM
NGgator60

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
We almost won the President's Trophy with Rupp and Bickell in the lineup. I don't understand why we can't have a few guys on the fourth line to make guys like Peluso think twice before running around Garden ice like he owns the place. Haley, Moore and (Huge Nasty Goon's Name Here).
It's become en vogue for hockey fans to say, "tough guys are great but they need to be able to play the game too," as if it is some sort of rule in the "new" NHL. It's a nice excuse for not just coming out and saying that if you're not Milan Lucic or a healthy Ryane Clowe, you need not apply.

Where is it written that tough guys need to be able to have a certain amount of offensive skill in order to have the positive effects that we've discussed? Clearly a good number of NHL general managers have not gotten that memo. So what happens is we have a game in which our nice little skill players get physically throttled by the big, bad Bruins or Sestito and then our fans clamor for fighting and physicality to be outlawed. If you cant beat them....well, lets change the rules!

Again, give my Stubickle on the 4th line and I'll bet that his presence on that line, from a skill perspective, will not make any material difference on the Rangers making the playoffs or missing them. It will make a difference in the locker room. If the Rangers are relying on the on-ice contributions of a 4th liner to seriously affect their championship asperations then we clearly have bigger fundamental roster problems.

For my money....

Marginal utility of a 4th liner on a team's identity > marginal utility of a 4th liner's on-ice production

NGgator60 is offline   Reply With Quote