View Single Post
Old
12-04-2013, 10:29 AM
intangible

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzm119 View Post
Exact same thing happened to me on the decompression table. I am trying to figure out if an Inversion table would be helpful without so much straining.

If only dealing with the every day pain was an option, I would be fine since I've lived with it for years. I am always worried about pulling out my back though because of missing work, having to lay in bed, etc.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
Yeah, your case sounds almost exactly like mine. Scary similar.

I was thinking of getting an inversion table, but let's be honest: if we both couldn't get up after the decompression table, what happens if we do the inversion table and then REALLY can't get up? You might be stuck there upside down for hours or worse.

Honestly, what I'd do if I were you is go to a gym and do the elliptical for 10-15 (or 30, if you can stand it) and see if that helps. Most gym places have a free trial thing for a day.. wouldn't hurt to go in there, try it, and see how it feels the rest of the day. Then if that worked get an elliptical for home use. It has worked wonders for my back pain.

Since you also had your back go out, did they do a full back MRI or just the lumbar? They did a full back on mine, where they found my thoracic spine was perfect, but below were the results of cervical and lumbar (I don't mind sharing -- plus, it reminded me that I have three degenerating discs in my neck, not bulging, sorry):

Quote:
Cervical: The posterior fossa is negative. The cervical cord is negative
intrinsically. There are no lesions. The cord has normal size and
contour.

Minimal degenerative disc disease changes are seen at C2-C3, C3-C4
and C4-C5 disc levels. At C5-C6 there are small degenerative spurs.
The disc spaces otherwise are normal. The C6-C7 and C7-T1 disc
spaces are negative. The paraspinal structures are negative. There
is no evidence of lateralizing disc herniation or protrusion. There
is no evidence of spinal canal stenosis.

Lumbar:
The patient has a normal lower conus that is at the T11-T12 disc
level. T11-T12, T12-L1, L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4 disc levels are
negative. These disc spaces show normal signal intensity and normal
intervertebral disc space height. These findings are against the
possibility of significant disc degeneration. At L4-L5 there is
evidence of moderate disc degeneration. There is some loss of disc
space signal intensity. There is mild degenerative retrolisthesis of
L4 on L5. There is mild bilateral facet osteoarthritis at L4-L5. A
small central disc protrusion is seen at L4-L5. This protrusion is
associate with some high T2 signal in the annulus fibrosis and this
is likely secondary to an annular tear.

The L5-S1 disc space is negative. This disc space has normal signal
intensity and normal height.
If they didn't do a full back MRI, I would recommend you at least get the cervical MRI. I think I have two very distinct issues with my back: obvious pain and some loss of motion due to the problems in my lumbar spine, AND then my back going out occasionally thanks to the problems in my cervical spine.

In addition, along with the fact that the pain first happened with bowling, it seems arm actions make this happen more frequently. I eventually stopped playing competitive baseball, only playing vintage base ball now, which is a bit less stressful on my body. I also stopped carrying my goalie bag on my back.. which was stupid to begin with (I did it because the wheels broke). Now I use a wheel goalie bag all the time, though still use a regular bag for skating out.

Anyway, those are my recommendations. Keep updating the thread as you seek treatment and hopefully get better.. I'm interested to hear how your progress goes.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote