View Single Post
Old
01-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Arastiroth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
If I could get someone like Ronning, Arnott (not possible for the Flyers, just saying), Newy for a 1st (Burns) and a couple players, I would've done that.
You're making it sound so nice and easy, but that fact is that it isn't. There is no way Dallas would've traded Newy or Langenbrunner for prospects/picks, which is ALL the Flyers had available. Now lots of teams want to dump player salaries, but at the time that wasn't much of a thought in comparison. Washington wasn't going to make the playoffs, and had Oates, who was leading the league in assists and in the top-5 scoring at the time of the trade. Not many teams are clearly out of the playoff race and have a LEGIT #1 center available. Roenick and Primeau went down literally one or two days before the deadline. There was no idea of when, or even if, they would be back. Washington was smart -- they knew that there really wasn't any other teams looking to move a top flight center for picks/prospects and that the Flyers were desperate. They may have gotten more then what would normally be considered fair for Oates, but keep in mind of how good Oates was then. I don't remember the exact positions, but I'm almost positive he was close to leading the league in points (top-5 if I remember correctly). Right now it would be easier to move all those picks and Oullete for a top flight center who isn't at the end of the road, but at the time value was different. The game's economics were different, which is something important to keep in mind.