View Single Post
Old
12-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemymum View Post
Good post. It was quite evident for parts of the game last night as well, that the defenders never really managade to set up a proper attack. Del Zotto was good yesterday, and probably the best option offensively after McD. Despite his defensive deficiensies, his offensive qualities is needed. I hope he's not to be traded, but that might be the plan?
While it certainly seems like the plan, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that we're using Del Zotto as leverage while intending to trade Staal. If we went in mentioning that we want to trade Staal, it lowers his value and we might get undercut. If we mention trading DZ for a big return, the other team might request more, at which point we turn and offer Staal instead (with a larger return coming our way). As the consensus better player, the other team might cave. It's a better strategy than offering Staal outright.

[package A=a quality RHD, 3rd round pick, and a B prospect]
[package B=a quality RHD, a 1st round pick, and an A prospect]

Sather: So, what does your team think of Del Zotto for [package A]
Other GM: I'm not sure, Glen, we'd need a better player for that. Del Zotto has been struggling.
Sather: Hmm... I guess Staal could come into play but I really don't want to get rid of him. What if you gave us [package B] for Staal instead?
Other GM: I think we can make that happen.

as opposed to:

Sather: So, what does your team think of Staal for [package B]?
Other GM: I'm not sure, Glen, I think we'd have to negotiate. That's a lot of assets for our team. What do you think of [package A] instead?

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote