View Single Post
Old
12-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
The defense is a major part of setting up the offense. Vancouver under AV scored a lot of goals and the defense was a major part of that. For example, in 2011-2012 when they were 5th in the league in scoring, they had 4 defensivemen with 25 or more points. Edler had 49, Bieksa had 44, Hamhuis had 37, and Salo had 25.

McDonagh is on pace for 50. Beyond that, no one is even on pace for 15 points for us. That is clearly not good enough. AV's system works but it's heavily reliant on D-Man contributing on offense. In that same season I used as a basis for comparison, the Canucks only had 3 forwards score more than 50 points. Between Richards, Nash, Stepan, Kreider, and Zuccarello, we might end up with 5. They only had 5 forwards reach 40 points, Hagelin and Brassard could reach that plateau as well. Our forward strength is honestly not that far behind Vancouver's and, like I said, they were a top-5 scoring team.

Defense absolutely is a huge part of our scoring woes and it's not insane to call it the major problem. Our forwards for sure need to finish better and that would help our D-Men accrue points but, likewise, our D-Men need to pass better, get more shots on goal, an break us on the rush.
Great post.

And the thing is, the fact that this isn't obvious to anyone and everyone is just more proof of how little our blueline has been involved in our offense since Leetch and Zubov's days.

I can't -- ever -- think of a high scoring team without real offensive firepower from the Ds. And we don't have it.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote