View Single Post
Old
12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
The last paragraph explains why he would be booed to a T. He would be a disappointment regardless of what contract he signed if he did nothing short of bringing the 28th ring to the franchise.

Beltran may have overall good numbers, but in do or die situations he folds. Bottom of the 9th, full count, in game 7 of the NLCS, and he strikes out looking? Brutal. I do believe he was mostly a non factor against Boston this past season, but to be fair, so did every Cardinal.

If it's me, I'd bring in Choo or I'd pass all together and go for a pitcher.
Beltran is one of the greatest playoff performers in MLB history, and it's not debatable. He's at his best on the biggest stage - the playoffs. He struck out looking once in the NLCS on a wicked pitch by Wainwright. Rivera blew game 7 of the World Series. You have to look at the whole body of work. I find no reason why Beltran would be booed more than any other free agent. He also offered the Yankees a discount to sign with them in the past before he went to the Mets - something Cano certainly didn't do (not that in blaming him for it, but it speaks well of Beltran).