Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
We already have a tough, hard-hitting defenceman on each of our three pairings:
SUBBAN-Markov
EMELIN-Gorges
Diaz-MURRAY

Players know they can't come into the Habs zone with their head down. Drewiske would have been fine as #7 but instead we have Frankie B. I suppose if we need to, we could bring up Tinordi or Pateryn if we need a defensive D, or Beaulieu if we need an offensive D. However, if we are trying to win it this year, while we have guys on ELC that are contributing, then I agree with Dawson's Guy, some able- but big-bodies on D could help, as would moving a guy like Briere out and getting another player in the mold of Prust or Moen. I'm even ok with keeping Briere in case of injury to a smaller offensive forward, so long as we reduce the number of those guys in the actual lineup by at least 1. I'd love to be able to spell a guy like Desharnais when we play two back-to-back game sets like we just did; use David in the second game, especially at home where we can control the line matchups, and his energy could spark us.

As long as we have a Price dominating in nets, a perennial Norris-trophy contending defenceman carrying the D-squad, the General playing inspired hockey, and a core of Patches, Pleks, Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher up front, then we have a chance to win every night. A better supporting cast, even just slightly better, might be the difference maker.
We're a good team. I'm not saying otherwise. (Feel free to see my posts in this thread when we were struggling.) I'm saying we could be a much better with a few moves.

Again, our weakness is in the dirty areas. In the crease... at BOTH ends.

Subban, Emelin, Gorges... yes there's some grit there. But none are great at clearing the crease. And our forwards aren't good in the crease either. We can't just throw it on Price and hope for the best. He's a great goalie but if we give him more protection he'll just be that much more effective.

Big winger, big blueliner. Not easy to get but that's what we needed coming into this season and its what we need now.

Winning battles in the crease is not the be all and end all. But when you're ineffective at both its going to hurt you. It killed us against Ottawa last year. We do a lot of things well. Goaltending, skating, we've got some scoring talent and maybe the best blueliner (and maybe the best pairing) in the NHL. Lots to be excited about.

Where's the weakness? Size, defensive depth, a BIG number three guy who excels at the dirty areas, a big winger who will screen the goalie. Big winger, #3 blueliner. We get this and we're in great shape, esp in the Eastern Conference.