View Single Post
Old
12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
There was Dioner Navarro, who has had a pretty good MLB career, and Jesus Montero who still might prove to be a decent MLB bat... just not at catcher. I don't consider that "missing on all of them" and I'm not sure what you mean by a "plethora of can't miss catching prospects".

The system needs to do better for sure but catching has been one area where they've at least been above average. Not many systems have a Gary Sanchez or even a JR Murphy.
I was talking about the development in general. Where are the killer b's? Where's the capable infielder or two that can go play second/third or even be a defensively strong super sub hitting .270. ? If they could fill a couple of lineup spots from within, then they could use money (which I guess isn't much of a problem anyway), or some of the good young players to go and find the SP that they desperately need. I just find it baffling that they can't seem to turn out players from within with ANY regularity. St Louis is a prime example of a team that runs like a well oiled machine. Asking the Yankees to match that may be unrealistic, but their system just seems barren. I'm surprised that the Yankees even sit down for the draft, because no one they pick seems to ever rise to the majors. You have to seriously question scouting and player development.

I only mentioned the catching position, because Montero was supposed to be a middle of the order bat, and it was always spoken of as a great position of strength in the Yankees farm system. Navarro was a guy they signed 15 years ago, so that's a bit of a reach. I'm hopeful that Sanchez can develop into something nice.