View Single Post
Old
12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
They corrected a lot of problems from last year, but they developed a huge weakness where they used to have a strength, and that is in their battle level and overall cohesion as a team. Torts had a lot of problems, but getting a team to think and act as one unit is/was undoubtedly his strength as a coach, and IMO, the inability to get a team to think and act as one like that is the most glaring weakness of AV as a coach. Ask VAN fans - they largely think that no matter what happens game to game, their team is going to come out hard and they are going to stand up for each other in every way, and they're happy that's that case with Torts as opposed to AV.

I'm not sure what the answer is really. I doubt that AV is going to gain that part of coaching at this point in his career. I think it's largely a personality thing. Torts' personality demanded that his team play that way first and foremost. If you didn't play that way, you didn't play. That was the litmus test. In many ways, that was problematic, however, it did lead to a good team attitude most of the time. The leaders on the team, in terms of players (Cally, Girardi, Staal, Hank, McD), don't really have that intensity. They seem like great guys, and they do their damnedest to lead by example, often succeeding, but they're not the kind of guys that are going to demand that everyone get behind each other and make teammates accountable when they fail to. This team would really benefit from a player like that, especially a vet, who makes the other guys want to follow them into anything.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote