View Single Post
Old
12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
He has less goals than Cam Janssen right now, is getting poor ice time on a bad team, and seems to have trouble producing at Even Strength. He doesn't play on the PK, a huge chunk of his production is on special teams, he's a minus player, and ranks in the bottom half of total point production amongst Flames players with 10+ games played. His shooting percentage has also regressed significantly from last year.

Advanced stats reveal he has an poor Corsi despite getting very sheltered minutes, both in terms of zone starts and quality of competition. His Corsi numbers are comparable to guys like Jeremy Welsh and Tim Kennedy. This suggests he's not good at puck possession or generating shots.

So yeah. He's a developing player and it's not expected that he light the world on fire as a 21 year old. He'll get better, of course. But I'm curious as to why you think calling him a 2nd/3rd liner is so outrageous? He doesn't score enough to be called a 2nd liner, and doesn't have enough utility to be a role player.

I'd like him on the Devils because our forward prospects are anemic, but certainly not at the price of Larsson. I fail to see what Flames fans see in this kid. I see a decent 2nd liner when in his prime, not much more.
He has struggled this year but with inconsistent goaltending his +- will tell you very little. I fail to see how bad 20ish games means has regressed from his potential top line forward to a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Larsson has equally has struggled and yet I am not foolish enough to believe that he has fallen in his potential.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote