View Single Post
Old
12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
According to http://achahockey.org/league.php?league_id=1059 Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado are D1 programs. But that's not the USCHA. I don't know what the difference is and don't care enough to research it though.
ACHA is a different animal than NCAA D1. I played for Cal's ACHA Division 2 team with UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, San Jose State, and other teams for a few years during my attendance there.

The largest difference other than the skill level is that ACHA is club, and NCAA is sponsored by the school.

While ACHA is considered club hockey, the top end ACHA talent has, I would say equivalent skill to some NCAA Division 3 college programs. The Division you play in (1,2,3) is usually some factor of your team's prior winning history, as well as other surrounding schools in your Division.

In general, it is hard to bring NCAA-level talent to California or other Pacific schools in the North and it is hard for schools to justify sponsorship of another division 1 sport (since schools already operate on thin budgets as we know). Division 1 hockey in California, if to exist, would not until a minimum of 10+ years have passed.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote