View Single Post
Old
01-24-2004, 08:02 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Clarke doesn't have to worry about dealing picks. To most Flyer fans the NHL draft is like the MLB draft. They don't know any of the players, myself included. It was pretty much Maxime and picks for Oates.

It was overpayment, but I don't think it was a bad deal at all. The Flyers top two centers went down and at the time it wasn't known how much time they'd be out. Clarke made a trade b/c they needed a Center badly. Also, not sure if it's been touched on yet but the Flyers PP was abysmal at the time. Not only could they not score on the PP but they also couldn't keep the other team from scoring short handed goals. You'd have to almost assume that by getting the best passer in the NHL, at the time, that the PP would be better.

At the time the Flyers were fairly well stocked with young players. Williams, Fedotenko, Gagne, Lefebrve, Divisek, Brendl, Pletka, St. Jacques, Hlavac, and Johnsson. Obviously some didn't work out, but at the time they had to feel somewhat confident about their depth of young talent.

Also, does anybody remember why the Flyers didn't resign Oates? I thought he was asking for a lot and the Flyers just parted ways w/ him b/c of that.

Oates stats for that year:
8th in points w/ 78, 1st in assists w/ 64, 29 PP points.