Thread: Prospect Info: OKC Barons 2013/14
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
OiledUp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He sure looked good before his stint in OKC. Is it Klefa or is it the Oilers fugly development system? Is OKC where prospects go to die? Or are we expecting too much? Surely we were expecting better than what he has been doing. Statistically he is one of the worst if not worst dman down there. He hasnt looked very good to my eye in a few viewings either, although I havent seen a lot of games.
One of the media guys, don't remember who, suggested that Oilers should add a couple of pure development coaches from the NCAA or other development leagues to the org. I was surprised(well not really, sadly...) they didn't already have this but I like the idea. And especially down in OKC. They should look for guys with a great development track record from the CHL, NCAA or perhaps even european juniors. Bring 'em in to focus on individual coaching.

I think Todd Nelson is doing fine getting guys ready for the show, the players going the AHL route usually are the longshots more than the sure-fire NHLers and guys like Arco, Lander, Pitlick etc have looked well prepared tactically and physically coming up.
I feel he could use some help with the fine-tuning, especially when it comes to d-men since it's such a hard position to play at the NHL level.
Nelson so far hasn't really killed anyone, the guys who failed did it by themself, and most players so far are playing ok or better than you could expect. But his first real test is this and last seasons influx of young d-men. Considering it's absolutely crucial for this org that he succeeds in turning at least a couple of them into good/great NHLers I'd say give the man some help.