Thread: Speculation: Snow's next move
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think the bolded, if true, suggests Snow is the type of GM whose fear about looking bad in a deal is greater than and outweighs his desire to improve the team. Thus he never really makes bold moves.

His moves, apart from arguably the Vanek deal, have all been safe moves. A draft pick for a player, a waiver wire pickup, a cheap free agent signing, etc. Look at even his "best" moves. Visnovsky for a pick, Nabokov off waivers, signing Moulson as a free agent nobody, signing Parenteau as a free agent nobody. They're all low risk moves that even if they don't pan out, they're so low key that he won't get heat for them.

I'm not saying he needs to go all Milbury or anything, but I do think he's got to be more receptive to moving things of value. If he truly wants to acquire a top four defender, it's going to cost him more than he's been willing to pay thus far. He's almost like your typical HF trade proposal armchair GM on this forum where he wants another team's best players but is only willing to deal his leftover scraps.
Snow has actually proved to be quite the gambler: the Vanek, Smyth, and Zednik deals, all the maneuvering at drafts, some high risk contracts (like Bailey).

The kinds of moves you are talking about, high value assets for high value assets are pretty rare in the NHL with the salary cap and all. And, in the Isles case, they simply don't have depth at any one position or a lot of valuable assets that would make this sort of approach sensible. Right now they have maybe three vets with high trade value who the team sees as either untouchable or close to untouchable (Tavares, Okposo, and Hamonic), one or two with modest trade value (Nielsen), a few vets whose team impact vastly exceeds their market value (Martin and Czikas), kids they probably shouldn't move (Strome, Nelson, Reinhart, and Pulock - maybe even Lee), impending UFAs, and some junk (Bailey, Grabner). That's not a lot of fuel for a hockey value-for-value trade in any case.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote