12-11-2013, 07:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
$725k is one fourth line player.
More importantly if you add up all overpayments (Streit, Timonen) you end up with a little fortune. Which you could spend on signing older players to shorter contracts (see below).
Streit I don't really think is an overpayment, maybe a year too many, but the money is right around where guys of his caliber are going to get paid.

Quote:
Oh btw. I said we won't go higher than $7.5m. At this point I'd say Giroux would actually land closer to $7m than to $7.5m.
And you think he still would have signed for the long term? You don't think he would have wanted a shorter contract at that rate to try to get more money in the next one?

Quote:
See above.
Older players, which Hartnell definately was when signed (especially considering the milage he already has and the way he plays) hurt you more down the road with longer contract with smaller cap hits than they would with larger cap hits and shorter contracts.
To begin, I don't know that I would call a 30 year old an "older player." If anything, the mileage Hartnell has is what is going to get him the extra years/money. The guy has been a lock for 20-30 goals for the last decade or so. He was our leading scorer. If he wants to stay here long term at a discounted rate (which I think we can all agree it was...I think even the NHLPA was upset with him for taking the deal), you jump at it. Otherwise, you are going to be paying a lot more. Isn't that what you are complaining about with Giroux? That the extra million or so is wasted? But its ok to pay that to Hartnell because in that last year he might be overpaid at that point?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote