View Single Post
12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
vCash: 500
Preach it brother....

Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I was thinking of all of Poile's mess-ups that have gotten us to where we are.

Hamhuis should have been moved before his UFA year, same with Suter. I know what Poile was thinking but he ended up wrong.
Everytime i've brought this up in the last 2 years i've been completely ripped for it on the boards, but it doesn't make it any less true. The team we had with Kariya was a possible contender with deficiencies that got exploited. Not so for our more recent playoff teams. If we played in the playoffs 100 times with the team we had in Suter's last year, we would have maybe won the cup once or twice. Suter is really excellent, for sure, particularly in evading the forecheck and first pass, but he was not the difference between a true contender and a non-contender. He was more the difference between an outside shot and no shot at all. Contenders are built by sustained pressure in the offensive zone plus finishers. We are getting some sustained pressure but our finishing is the worst i've seen in the NHL by any team. Our defense presently is as good as any defense is likely to ever be, and if Pekka gets better the defense is set. We are two top 6 forwards from being what can be considered a real contender. I would trade Leggy and Fisher and possibly two other forwards and a defenseman other that Weber or Jones for the best possible player, hope that we can draft an NHL ready top 6 player in this draft, and go from there.

Last edited by hoosierpred: 12-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote