View Single Post
Old
12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck20 View Post
I've been wondering the same though, if playing in NYC really desensitizes players or if it's such a huge distraction that they have to focus all their energy on not focusing on city life. If out-of-town players get even a little of that glimmer that I notice in tiny interactions with people..put that up against someone who has grew up/lived and trained with MSG as their backyard for ~6-7+ years and (more or less) takes everything here for granted..there probably really isn't that shiny luster to playing in MSG to them anymore. So you have these other teams coming in, super amped to see all the buildings and lights and stores and then you have the Rangers who just play like everything is old and tired.
Yeah, this is what I'm getting at. NYC inspires emotions in people, good or bad, that other cities simply do not. I know tons of people from all over the country (and even the world I guess) who either love or hate this place. I'm sure this extends to hockey players, and I'm thinking that they either come into the city just super excited to be there and play there or with a chip on their shoulder and a desire to prove that NYC really isn't anything special or something to be intimidated by. I'd imagine that Toronto would be the equivalent for Canadians, hence this thought.

Don't get me wrong though, I am completely on-board with the fact that a modern, competent, hockey focused management team is priority #1. I just think that there is a real, slightly intangible element that makes it harder to win in NYC if all else was equal.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote