View Single Post
Old
12-13-2013, 03:25 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I see what you're saying but you keep saying Schenn was on pace for 45 points but you aren't using the pace of other players too, your just using the total points. It would be like saying Taylor Hall had 53 points in 2011-2012 and Schenn was on pace for almost 50 so they are roughly the same player. Until you notice that Hall only played 60 games or whatever it was, his pace though would be closer to a 70+ point player.

Going scrictly on PPG looking at 2011-2012(last full season) the 90th best forward in the NHL after removing guys that played very few games, as far as PPG was Bobby Ryan at .7ppg and he had 57 points in 82 games. There were guys like Lecavalier who had 49 points in 64 games which is a 63 point pace so while he had less than 50 points, he clearly would have easily eclipsed that if you use pace the way you use Schenn's pace.

It's really more the pace of scoring that makes you a first line player. If a guy has 40points in 55 games hes clearly a first line player. If that same player had 40 points in 82 games, I'm sure they would be looking to move him off of that line.

Also, just because there are 90 guys playing on a first line in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean they are all first liners depending on your opinion of a first line player. That's like saying there are 30 #1 defenseman in the NHL when even the most optimistic Flyers fan will admit we don't have a #1 anymore.

Nothing against Schenn here, I'm taking a very patient approach to a lot of our young guys because I'm tired of seeing guys get run out of town and then tear it up somewhere else. I just wouldn't call Schenn a borderline first liner right now.
When talking 50ish point totals as a bench mark for first liners I didn't include last season because it was a shortened season. I didn't feel like going through the top 30 left and top 30 right wingers (in terms of point totals) and calculating ppg numbers so I just went by the previous few yrs numbers. Even still if you want to use 55+ pts as a bench mark for first liners I still don't see how Schenn isn't on his way to being just that all things considered (he's only 22 and will fill out a bit more, experience: ~140 NHL regular season games equates to less then two season of experience, and ice time which is very low considering his expectations). Schenn is second on the team in terms of pts/60 minutes behind vinny which is really telling if you ask me. Just look at JVR's numbers after getting very similar ice time numbers under Lavy when he got moved to TO and his TOI skyrocketed. So maybe he's not as close as I made him sound but still.

Edit: in his last 81 games (this season and last season) he's got 44 pts. Again all things considered I don't really see how he's not on his way to being a 1st liner. He's already a solid 2nd line scorer.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 12-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.