Old
12-15-2013, 03:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Because stats need context. JVR's stats combined with what was actually visible on the ice always indicated that he had a potentially very high ceiling.

Schenn's stats combined with what he's actually showing on the ice indicate it's unlikely he'll break out like JVR.

Sure that can change at some point, but right now it's not looking great. He has physical talent, but his hockey IQ just looks low as dirt. Can't read plays, always chasing, losing the puck, etc. His actual play isn't exactly showing tons of upside from where it is now.
But what about the context of Schenn playing on a lesser team with lesser line mates, in less TOI, while being two years younger? I'm not saying that Schenn is a sure-fire superstar or that JvR isn't any good. I'm just pointing out they are similar in just about every aspect but JvR seems to be much more regarded than Schenn. The argument regarding his on-ice play (something that is debatable and unquantifiable) doesn't seem to hold up to the facts. I understand you may not be thrilled with what you have seen, and I guess his points are the result of something other than his play, but the same could and has been said about JvR's on-ice play. JvR has been criticized for his lack of hustle, inconsistency, softness, etc.