View Single Post
Old
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
FinnoHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Anyone else think that fans overcelebrated the milestone of a guy who, in his 11th year, should be celebrating his 800th career point?
If you ask me the milestone is more a reminder of unfulfilled promise than anything.
Hello? Torn retina, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Brian Savage .... ???

417 and ngc put it well in their posts. It was more of a celebration of the man, not to say that it was a massively impressive achievement strictly in terms of numbers, points, etc. The point is not how long it took him to rack those points up - the point is how much adversity he had to go through to rack those points up.

Of course we'd all rather look back at a decade of Koivu and the Habs and see 1,000 points and a couple of Stanley Cups - but as things have turned out, I think looking back and seeing the man with 500 points, still being able to play the game, centering the first line, being widely acknowledged as one of the best leaders in the game today, and having one of the best seasons of his career.... there is no point in talking about being disappointed or "what could have been" .. I'm sure Saku himself is not the "what could have been" type - as fans, let's give him the respect of not adopting that thinking either and look forward and hope that at the end of his long and eventful road with the Habs there is a moment where he lifts the cup with this team - his team.

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote