View Single Post
Old
01-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
wow ! heavy trhead ...incredible how the things are going far when we talk about Koivu or Ribeiro.Anyway , if i am one of the fans that don't think that Koivu is irreplaceable , i would never do a trade Koivu/ Arnott.;Jason would be a good addition to our team , but i think that in a trade for Koivu it will be just change a missing piece by another missing piece...so our center will be bigger but less gritty

i don't buy it !
Well said. I don't think anyone believes Koivu is irreplaceable, only irreplaceable in a trade. What I mean is if Montreal were to deal Koivu, they wouldn't receive a player of equal value or importance in return.

plafleur10:

How is Arnott a power forward? He has good size, but he hasn't averaged over a PIM / game for a good long while, averages about as many fights as Zednik does per season, and is a creampuff for over half his games each season. He's been a problem child in Edmonton, then in New Jersey where both teams shipped him for (at the time) less value than his numbers warranted (EDM received Guerin for him, but that was when Guerin hadn't put up great offensive numbers).

Arnott's a lazy player. Outside of his rookie season, he has never reached 60 points. When he had great success on the 'A' line with Elias and Sykora, he managed to choke when it counted most.

Why do you think New Jersey, a team that is smaller than the Habs down the middle, were so keen to move Arnott less than a year after he put up over a point per game and enjoyed his career year? Why do you think New Jersey received so little for a point-per-game power-forward who was NJ's first line center the year prior?

NJ received a declining, vastly overpaid Nieuwendyk who had weak knees and was a soon to be UFA and an oft-benched Jamie Langenbrunner, who -- at the time -- was a glorified third liner? On paper, Arnott had much more trade value, but he publicly feuded with his coach, and it was deemed he was part of the problem and needed to be removed. Do you want that type of player in Montreal?