View Single Post
Old
01-11-2007, 11:29 AM
NoamHemsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Vokoun in net for the first time against Anaheim Tuesday....what a way to shake off the rust....against the conferences best team......we play CBJ on a back to back, home and home, Friday and Saturday. I would play Mason Tuesday against ANA, and play Tomas this first game against CBJ if it was up to me....but it's not.....but it doesn't sound like it is up to Trotz either.....

If you listen to Trotz's press conference from last night.....

http://predzone.com/audio.php?catid=2

You can hear the frustration over the whole thing in his voice......
"When your number one goalie says he is ready, you say 'OK' "
"He is ready and he is going in [against Anaheim] and we just work from there, I guess."

I don't know what he meant by "if you don't bring him against Anaheim, you bring him in against Detroit, and both are pretty good teams.....".......the funny thing is that we play CBJ on 12/12 and 12/13 and CGY on 12/15 before we play DET on 12/17.....so I don't know what he was thinking.

I understand Tomas itching to get back in.....but he needs to think outside his personal desires right now...and think more about the team.
One quote he recently had was to the effect of "I play most for myself and to do the best I can for myself.....and for the team that I am playing for next."

You don't do the best for yourself or your team, for demanding to go back in at a certain time.....against arguably the league's strongest team....with 6 weeks of rust....playing at 80% at best.....and taking the decision out of the coaches hands....when Mason is playing as well as he is. That is just not being a team guy, in my book.

This whole "controversy" is the first time, in a while, I have seen Vokoun's insecurity coming back. I see what Trotz is saying....."OK big boy....you want it....here you go.....sink or swim."
-If he comes out a plays a stellar game.....great.
-But what if he doesn't....what if he lays an egg? ......[I estimate 50% or greater chance he does].
-What if he gets shelled so bad....he needs to be pulled.....does Trotz do it, or let Tomas swing from his own vine for a little bit.
-What do the players think, if Vokoun comes in and stinks it up?......they have been nothing short of glowing about Mase....see Arnott's comments from last night...."We are giving up too many shots and we are leaving Mase back there," Predators Center Jason Arnott said. "He's playing unbelievable right now and we know that, but you can't rely on him all the time, and I think we are too much right now."

Tomas is a competitor...no one can deny that....and he has never shirked away from a challenge.....but......

Well, I for one, will be interested to see how this one plays out in the short term.
I have to agree with you here. Vokoun has admitted to not being 100%, so with the team and Mason doing so well, why not let yourself heal? The Preds will be in the playoffs for sure and that's were Vokoun will really be called on.

Forcing the coaches hand when, you might not be the best guy, at this point in time anyway, seems a bit selfish to me.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote