View Single Post
Old
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think a major problem, and I tried to address it in a thread that was locked immediately, is that when teams do tighten up on our guys and the going does get tougher, nobody does anything. My example focused on Witt. They're acting like this clown is Larry Robinson. He's not that good. The fact that we allow this guy to alter our game plan is ridiculous. Since we have 6 bottom line forwards who we are all saying aren't going to score, why isn't one of these guys trying to goad Witt into a penalty or get him off the ice for a fighting major? Why not give him something to concentrate on and get him off his own game, instead of letting him get our guys off theirs? This is why we need not just a guy like Orr, but team toughness. These guys have to start sticking up for each other and I mean not only when someone crosses the line into cheapshot territory, but all the time. If I'm an "enforcer" and you're playing my teams best player too close, I single you out. If I can't get to you, I go play your guy too close. Far too often we allow marginal guys like Witt or Jay Pandolfo to alter the course of the our gameplan. If we have 6 interchangeable guys on the 3rd and 4th lines, some of these guys have to start taking one for the team and doing something about this.

This is exactly what I find infuriating about our bottom 6. You can't score, fine. Find a different way to be productive. None of these guys is going to be mistaken for Jay Pandolfo, we don't have 6 potential Selke nominees on our hands. Interestingly, Colton Orr did exactly that in the 2nd game vs. the Isles. Jagr proceeded to score on the subsequent 4 on 4. I am NOT talking about running people. Just get under the other guy's skin, be a pest when you're on the ice.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote