View Single Post
Old
12-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Okay, so you, like many others, advocate patience. That's a valid stance. But perhaps the decision to hang onto Holmgren is the measured approach that you're not seeing. Clearly there was a future oriented approach to the 2011 shakeup. If Snider were to let Holmgren go before that plan can mature, wouldn't that be the opposite of patience? Giving up on the operation in the middle of it because it's not paying immediate dividends would be counterproductive as it relates to what (I think) you're suggesting. If you're not advocating patience, then please, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not advocating hanging onto Holmgren. I just don't understand how these opinions can be consistent with each other.
What is the plan exactly? I'm still trying to figure it out. I kind of saw it with the Richards and Carter trades and then as I've previously said, Holmgren hasn't followed them up properly. He wasn't measured with his high stakes bet on Parise, Suter and Weber and it set this team back since he didn't have a plan B or it was too late to implement one. This past offseason he tried to address the mistakes of the previous (two) season(s) because he was able to buy himself out of them with the amenesties. As I suspected they were lateral moves that simply stabilized the team but didn't necessarily put them on the path forward. They are pretty much stuck in neutral and if the goaltending goes again they will regress to last year's futility.

Either way, they are looking at two seasons of not making the playoffs. At some point the GM has to assume some responsibility for that. Keeping Holmgren is not a measured plan....at best Holmgren will just continue to be inconsistent..he will win some of his gambles and lose them since that is how he GM's. I still think part of it is because Snider meddles too much and doesn't empower his GM enough to be his own man..the other part is that I don't particularly think Holmgren is the type of GM to assemble a Stanley Cup contender any longer. He is frazzled IMO...time for a fresh perspective.

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote