View Single Post
Old
12-17-2013, 05:24 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You're saying that the Bat films cast a huge shadow over Nolan's work (never mind that they are the best within a genre), but you subsequently list directors who have made a ton of bad movies between them. You're also borderline ridiculous for reproaching a then 33 year old director for taking the opportunity of directing a 150 million dollar budget movie in Batman Begins. You're saying it casts "a huge shadow over his work", lol, as if you would turn down the opportunity to write a screenplay for a 150 million dollar (250 million after inflation) "cape-crap" film if you were barely starting out in your career. I predict you'd be kissing the floor.

James Cameron made Avatar (mediocre, not bad), Ridley Scott made Prometheus and Kingdom of Heaven (which has the worst line of dialogue I've ever heard), Ang Lee made The Hulk, Steven Soderbergh made the rev olting Contagion, and Fincher made the cheap knockoff The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. All of those movies are one or more steps down from Nolan's median. Those are *not* exceptions, I'm sure my list would be three or four times longer if I had seen their entire collective filmography in its entirety.

Ridley Scott did not get much respect when he was young. Blade Runner and Alien got little to no respect when they came out. You know what Scott reached his greatest accolades for? The overrated Gladiator. It was easy to respect Scott in 2000, I'd be more impressed with those who liked him in 1985, when quite frankly he was a little better.
Two responses:

1) The Dark Knight Rises is considerably worse than every movie you listed except, maybe, Ang Lee's The Hulk.

2) Out of the first group of names you name Fincher and Soderberg. Fincher's Dragon Tattoo was an excellent thriller and his filmography is beyond reproach; Soderberg is 50 and has directed a LOT of films, they are definitely exceptions to his otherwise quality work. Contagion was a genre thriller, it wasn't great, hell you can say it wasn't good but wasn't "revolting" like say, Marion Cotillard's death scene in Dark Knight Rises.

And I agree about Speilberg and Cameron and especially when it comes to Ridley Scott. That man has fallen off the wayside... though The Counselor has something going for it: it's original and vicious, people were expecting the wrong thing. Blade Runner and Alien/Aliens are some of favorite films and they're undoubtedly better than the cape-crap movies of Nolan, Whedon et al.

As for the kissing the floor bit - yeah, and what of it? That's just a lowblow to someone you know is in film school. No one in my position would turn down ANY production, much less a billion dollar franchise. That doesn't mean he's beyond criticism because I'm not as successful as he is yet... that was a silly comment to make by any means. All things considered the Batman trilogy casts a shadow over his work, if you disagree that's fine but until he releases more good movies he's far from being a genius, especially if he sticks to his formula.

edit:

I've written about why I don't consider cape-crap movies any good at length a multitude of times but basically: There is no inherent dilemma or danger; the superhero has four subsequent sequels and knockoffs announced, we all know he'll save the day, there will never be any permanent change or damage or something that appears to be a risk of any kind. That's why Rachel dying in TDK worked so well... and why tying up everything in such a neat way in TDKR didn't. Don't get me started on the Avengers.