View Single Post
Old
12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
So, I have a few weeks off for the holiday break and was thinking this would be a good time to give FBV a test drive. My question, like most, is what sharp to start with.

I am 6'3", about 245lbs, and have the flexibility of a stovepipe(numerous knee surgeries have left me tentative). I am 45 years old, and have been skating about 18 months. It is not very pretty. I work at it though. I really would like to find more speed, and quicker starts/acceleration. I initially started on a 7/16, then gradually worked my way down to a 5/8. Sometimes the 5/8 feels a bit to much slide, but when I used a deeper hollow it seems to take me a few hours to get comfortable. They just stick so much(fairly soft ice too at my local rink) and my stopping and turning on the weaker foot feel really dicey. So, the 5/8 let's me get going pretty quick without too much hesitation. The transitions are where I really feel the most trouble and feel like I am going to trip over myself. I use a Reebok 12k size 13 skate -- gunboats for sure.

I realize I need to continue to improve my skating, trust my edges, get bender knee bend -- all of that. Still, if I can get something more from my blades, that would be great. I would like to make better turns, learn to backward crossover, etc... but stumbling all over the place until I can wear them in for 4-5 hours is not a good plan. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good cut to start with?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote