View Single Post
Old
01-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Sometimes, there are players,coaches, people, and you can say, 'Ahhh, it's always something with that guy' An issue will come up. Power, ego, I don't know, but something will happen.

I always had the feeling that Messier, maybe usurped some power from Keenan in 94, was a strong enough character to minimize some of Keenan's antics, but I can't back it up, just a feeling.
Whatever the case, it was such a bizarre scene when linden was basically forced to give up the captiancy to messier when keenan became the coach. If messier knew what was good for the team, then he wouldn't have taken linden's C. As for your assumption about messier's power with keenan, it was widely assumed in this market that Messier had a say in the moves that were being made by keenan and the rest of the managment, so your assumption could very well be right.

Obviously, Linden was put in a tough spot. But he's not the type of guy who is going to make a big scene and refuse to give up the C. I mean, this was Linden's team. And you just knew this ordeal was killing him inside. He had been the captain for about 7 years. Just imagine of koivu had to do something like that.

There's also a famous incident where keenan embarassed Linden in the dressing room. As much as Keenan pushes the right buttons, he obviously pushed the wrong ones with Trevor. He's never been the same player since. Sure, it may be a coincidence that his play was declining but these "behind the scenes" shanannigans made me lose respect for Messier and for Keenan.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote