Thread: Brayden Schenn
View Single Post
Old
12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
tymed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I believe Schenn was given first crack at the RW spot with G and Hartnell last year and didn't impress in limited time and got the hook.

It's an interesting observation though. I agree he's a bit lost on the left side, he's OK offensively at center and he has some freedom there as well, but he's not exactly a complete center. You can play him on the right side, but like you said someone is getting bumped from their natural side. You got Voracek, Simmonds, and Downie who play the right side and Read has already moved over to his off wing. I never really feel in love with the Jake-G combo, I think they are too similiar, but I don't see them splitting any time soon. Simmonds isn't skilled enough to play the off wing and the Couts line appears to be solidified. There's no where for him to really go. It will be interesting to see what happens when Vinny comes back. Is someone on the move?

Ya I remember them trying that very briefly now... And ya I dont see the kid holding down the 2C spot with our center depth for very long. The reason I suggest Simmonds was his lack of skill because he only ever darts in a straight line through the neutral and tries to dump and chase which I figure he can't get much better or worse at on the other side. Another interesting look would be to see Jake on the left side of Giroux--On the surface the idea might not make sense but Jake really isn't the type of player that he grew up being. He never had size and strength and always worked his passing magic off the rightside boards...whereas now moreso than not seems like he's taken to attempting to drive wide and make a backhand pass with his head down. He has the wheels to maybe beat guys around on his forehand off the left side and has really abandonned the defensive side of the game so maybe he could put it to use out that side and cut loose. The guy changed his game maybe he could benefit from changing position too. G and Schenner could get him a lot of pucks up the left side in full stride.

Basically...my point is that our top-6 has an alarmingly low amount of chemistry in the past couple of years and there arent any real signs of that changing with the combos we've usd with players in particular spots and I see Schenn as having the biggest chance to have a dramatic change in impact should he find his natural spot. Jake is the only top-6er with speed when healthy which is the biggest requires asset for working off your forehand going down the ice.

Voracek-Giroux-Schenn ?

If we had a line that could establish some dominance and chemistry to go along with the Coots line we might be able to eventually escape mediocrity without a trade.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote