View Single Post
Old
12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Why are you defining statistics that I already know? I asked you why listing his OPS ranking on the team is relative to analyzing his skill level as a hitter.
SLG is an individual skill with no outside influence. It measures the player's power at the plate. It's not a relative stat, it's a direct stat to a player, granted you have to take it into context like everything else. Hitting a HR with no one on base drives himself in. Getting into scoring position by hitting a double or a triple is a huge factor. That doesn't necessarily say he's going to score, but it increases the chances of scoring.

Anyhow, just in case you still think OPS has nothing to do with a player's overall hitting skills...

Quote:
On-base plus slugging (OPS) is a Sabremetric baseball statistic calculated as the sum of a player's on-base percentage and slugging average.[1] The ability of a player to both get on base and to hit for power, two important hitting skills, are represented. An OPS of .900 or higher in Major League Baseball puts the player in the upper echelon of hitters. Typically, the league leader in OPS will score near, and sometimes above, the 1.000 mark.

CategoryClassificationOPS Range
AGreat.9000 and higher
BVery Good .8333 to .8999
CAbove Average .7667 to .8333
DAverage.7000 to .7666
EBelow Average .6334 to .6999
FPoor.5667 to .6333
G Atrocious .5666 and Lower
Trumbo's three years in the MLB in order, OPS: .768, .808, .747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
If I were to say a guy that hit .240 on a terrible team has a great batting average because he had the third highest average on his team that would be ridiculous, right?

Then I'd say it's idiocy for presenting the idea this way. But I'll counter this way... Chris Iannetta's BA is .225. That's a far, far worse average than you've presented. Now, his OPB is .358. Wait... that means he's getting on base at a very high rate, which means he doesn't account for an out. And yet he'd be considered a good bat. Actually, in the whole AL, Iannetta would be ranked in the top 20 for OBP.

But following your premise... yeah Iannetta sucks.