View Single Post
Old
12-20-2013, 02:36 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
I don't know how old you are or how long you've been watching games.

There are a few facts though.

For the most part, as a generalization, players respected each other a lot more out on the ice than they do today. Part of that is that they grew up wearing cheap-ass helmets and learned how to keep their sticks down. Players now, grew up playing the game with as much equipment as football players and think they're invincible.

That's as much to blame for the cheap hits as fighting.

I have a meeting, talk later.
"Players respected each other a lot more out on the ice than they do today."

Nobody has provided anything that actually establishes this as truth. Which incidents do you want me to cite? Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon. McSorley on Brashear. Tiger Williams swinging his stick at players. Dino Ciccarelli swinging his stick at Luke Richardson and ending up in jail because of it. The Bertuzzi crippling of Steve Moore. How about Ace Bailey's career being ended with a fractured skull and almost dying when Eddie Shore did the whole "self policing thing" and retaliated for a hit he didn't like? All of this crap happened back in the "good old days" when players supposedly respected each other, yet this stuff is just as bad, if not worse, than what we see now.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote