View Single Post
Old
01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
MaxV

vCash: 500
Here's my personal top 10:

1. Tretiak.....Top 5 goaltender of all time. Period.
2. Kharlamov....His skills were Light Years ahead of his time, by any standards.
3. Fetisov....Arguably the best D-Man of his time (post-Orr).
4. Firsov....A player with a physical style, who also had great skills. One of the hardest shooters in the history of hockey.
5. Makarov....A VERY underrated player. A lot of people forget that he played in the NHL also, and played VERY well. One of the best forwards of his time, and he played in the same time as Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier. He could very well be the most talented Russian player of all time (he was bigger then Kharlamov and faster then Firsov).
6. Vasiliev....Another VERY underrated player, who was also a great one. He was an EXCELLENT all-around D-man.
7. Bobrov....The first Russian superstar. Perhaps, he's too low on my list, as he was a great player in his own right. A 2-sport athlete who was also one of the best Russian soccer players of all time.
8. Maltsev....Another one who seems to be kinda low on this list. Throughout his career he's been overshadowed by other great Russian players, but he too had GREAT ability.
9. Mikhailov....He wasn't as flashy as some other Russian forwards, but he could very well be the most accomplished of them. All-time Soviet scoring leader, his physical style of play reminded many of NHL players more so then other Russian forwards of his time.
10. Larionov....This one accomplished almost everything there is to accomplish in hockey. World Championships: Check. Olympic Gold: Check. Long and productive NHL career: Check. Stanley Cups: Check.

#10 was a tough decision, as I think a case could be made for Fedorov, Bure and Krutov.

I hope someday Ovechkin, Malkin and other young Russians could be mentioned on this list.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote