View Single Post
Old
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
MaxV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Just before the Russia-Canada series started, my Dad and I sat at the kitchen table and talked about it. We both agreed the Russians had no goaltending (that was the published report, honest) and that the Canadian team would dominate with superior size and strength. I remember we both agreed Frank Mahovlich would be the best player because he had that size and booming shot.

I also remember in the middle of G1, my Dad saying something like "Mahovlich isn't even the best LWer" and we laughed. Kharlamov was tremendous, although we weren't laughing much by the time they hit Vancouver.

The other thing I remember is a MacLean's magazine cartoon. It was of Foster Hewitt announcing a CAN-RUS game and trying to pronounce Cournoyer's name. He said "And it's Courn..Corney....Cornwhy...anyway Tsygankov just scored."

Major kick in the junk for us Canadians.
Yeap, Canadians sent 2 scouts to see Tretiak in action. They ended up seeing only one of his games, in which he gave up 8 goals. They came back saying that he was AWFUL.

The Russians failed to tell them, that a night prior to that game Tretiak was out drinking and partying after his wedding.

BTW, when we (Russians) are out drinking and partying, it takes us a week or so to get us back on our feet.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote