Old
01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Exactly!
I'm sure Gainey has made many inquires about different players, some big names, some lesser names, and has concluded that the best route to take is to keep his cards.

I'm sure if things change or a deal comes across his desk he feels is a 'can't pass up' type, I'm sure regardless of the size of the trade he will pull it.

Just don't figure anybody should be expecting that to happen is all.
You're absolutely right about not expecting a blockbuster. The team has played well, and the prospect pipeline is pumping. But on the other hand, I would be very surprised if Gainey did not go out and get a player who brings either playoff experience, a RH shot at center, some additional scoring, some size and toughness, or whatever else.

It's easy to get a little too happy about prospects while forgetting that it's about winning and improving as soon as prudently possible. After being such a lousy team for so long, we can't take the playoffs for granted. Any time you can make the playoffs, you have to ice the best possible team and maximize an oppurtunity that's only available to about half of the league in any one year, an oppurtunity that's been available to the Habs only once in the past five or whatever number of years.

This is why it is unlikely that Gainey will stand by and not add (or subtract) anyone before the deadline. There are a lot of players between marginal "future considerations" types and the more heralded Arnotts and O'Neills. It's these in-between types that I would expect Gainey to target, even if it meant parting with a so-so prospect or draft pick. Maybe he'll settle for a fringe "future considerations" type, but I can't believe that he wouldn't at least aim higher.