View Single Post
Old
01-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
How many years has Sather been here for and what does the farm system have to show for it, given that time frame? For that matter what does the big club have to show for it given that time frame? Seems to me that for an organization to be struggling to replace a Malik in the lineup or finding a 2nd line forward, given all the time that the Rangers have missed the playoffs under Sather's watch is the biggest indication of failure.
You make a good point TB. 6/1 will mark Sather's 7th complete year as Ranger GM. Good or bad he gets credit for what happened in that time frame.

The first 4 years('00 - '03)were not stellar Sather made bad choices/moves in that time frame. But as imperfect as it was we added Lundqvist, Tyutin, Hollweg, Prucha, Ortmeyer, Baranka and Dawes to the system. The first five are now roster players in New York. The latter two have a decent chance to play for the Rangers or in the NHL at some point.

Since the purge in '04 much as changed for the better. It's still not as good as I would like, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that Sather and the Rangers have done reasonably well in both icing a competitive team and drafting solid prospects.

The big litmus test IMO starts this spring when many of our prospects from the '04/'05 draft begin to skate for organization. It essentially begins a process that will take at least two years to fully evaluate.

'04:
Al Montoya
Lauri Korpikoski
Darin Olver
Dane Byers
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan

'05:
Marc Staal
Michael Sauer
Marc-Andre Cliche
Brodie "Moose" Dupont
Tommy Pyatt
Ryan Russell

The bottom line IMO will be which of the above players is still with the team, what have they contributed, and if the Rangers are a legit cup contender.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote