Raffl House

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatjesus View Post
okay, I got one for each of them.

Wiercioch for Hartnell (30% retained)

or

Spezza for Simmonds + B.Schenn
I would love Spezza and with Giroux and Jake, I think he would produce at a PPG level which is what he has been able to do in his career.

The problem with your trade is two fold. One, the glaring problem is Spezza's 7 million cap hit through next year. That's a tough contract to bring in for one player, and if he continues to excel, I don't see him getting anything less than 6 million per year on a 3-4 year deal after his contract expires next season. Understand though that players as good as Spezza become available.......never.......and you should take the chance when you can. Except...

The second problem is that I don't think you are providing nearly enough value back to Ottawa. Why would they take a 2nd-3rd liner who has been anything but streaky and a player who has the potential to be a star, but in nearly 150 NHL games has not shown that he is capable of producing, or even flashing, at that type of level. My personal opinion is that we saw flashes in JVR being a top line player. We see the occasional flashes of brilliance in Coots. Do you see it in Schenn? I don't...and I don't think anyone is fooled.

Except Holmgren, of course.

I think for a Spezza trade, you are adding in picks. Very high picks. Plus a prospect...and if we offered anyone other than Laughton, they probably kabash the deal. Not sure I'm ready to give up that type of return on a team that is otherwise proven to be nothing but a .500 team over last season and this season, so far.

Moving Schenn and Simmonds also opens up holes on your 2nd/3rd lines. Moving Laughton opens up a roster spot that needs to be filled next season. Do you want Jason Akeson on your 2nd line? I surely hope not.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote