View Single Post
Old
01-26-2004, 10:44 PM
#44_delivers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
If Washington is indeed looking for a warm body to come back, I'd have to think it would be defenceman. Their D-corps is laughable at the moment and virtually anybody would be an upgrade over th #5 and #6 guys.

Bondra would be nice, but it HAS to be the right deal. Montreal is still a step or two behind Philly, New Jersey, Ottawa and even Toronto and it's not like Bondra would put them over the top. Mortgaging a future (particularly a high pick) for a player who doesn't clearly and dramatically jump your team over the teams you're chasing is not worth it in my opinion.

When Gainey was first hired everyone said patience and the good scouting and drafting of Savard would pay off. Now success comes a little faster than expected and everyone wants to dump youth for a big name. Building from within leads to longer term success as proven by the Wings, Stars, Devils and Senators. Jumping into the market too soon has been proven disastrous for teams like the Caps, Sharks and Hurricanes.

Given the choice I'd rather have a very solid club with a good string of playoff appearances rather than the one or two runs and then back to the bottom. Would we want Bondra? Of course, he's a proven scorer. Do we really, really need him? I don't believe that we do.
i know what your saying,
but bg would be more intrested in a guy like cole, oniell or smyth.
he likes em gritty even in the scoring department