View Single Post
Old
12-27-2013, 09:54 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, but at the same time, Morin only might ever turn into Coburn (or better). I agree that that scenario would make him a valuable player to this organization, but at the same time, there is IMO just as good a chance that he will not ever be as good as Coburn. With Patches, you get a 25 year old 30 goal scorer. Our defensive pool is thin, and dealing Morin makes it all the more thinner, but at the same time, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Is the potential to have a top pair or top four cheap defenseman worth more than the proven 30 goal scorer locked up relatively long term at a fair price? That's the question you need to ask. To me, I always lean toward the known commodity.
It may be a fair price but it isn't the path this organization should be taking.

Let's put it this way, between Morin, Hagg, and Ghost, there should be a very good chance we get 2 NHL defensemen, a good chance that we get 1 top 4 defensemen, a decent chance we get 1 top pairing guy, and a lesser chance we get a #1 defensemen.

As soon as we move one of those guys, those chances drop. If anything, we need to focus on adding to that.

Our defense could be in serious trouble if we don't produce 2 top 4 guys over the next 2-3 years. Once Streit is gone, we are essentially left with Coburn and Schenn under contract that can play in the top 4, and with Schenn that's not set in stone.

I really do not want to see this franchise dip into the free agent pool to sign defenders anymore unless they are going for a bottom pairing guy or a truly elite player (like Suter). That's a recipe for getting stuck with bad contracts and having an underperforming and expensive D

Our forward situation is far more manageable. A scoring winger may be a need, but at least we have players under contract that can play in the top 6.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote