View Single Post
Old
01-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Dartmouth 02

vCash: 500
first, let me say that i despise the rangers, and as a lifelong NYI fan have built up quite a bit of animosity for many of their fans. however, there is no question that there isnt a more knowladgeable, passionate, classy group of fans in America. when you go to a ranger game, it isnt just mindless booing or belligerence; but rather palpable unhappiness over the state of a team that is remarkably important in this city which is nothing CLOSE to a "hockey town". id hazard a guess that most NYR fans will admit theyre a fickle bunch, but for the past 6 years or so theyve HAD NO CHOICE. it is a bad predicament when you cant really rally around your own team. most ranger fans dont love this group of guys- they wont feel the passion for wins that they would with a team that they were proud to call their own. when the isles were an abomination (save the jokes about my use of past tense ) it was truly awful, but we were lovable losers. going to a 2/3 empty coliseum for 12 bucks and sitting in the good seats; watching the likes of dave archibald and mark lawrence and barry richter; it was funny long after it was depressing. the rangers situation is far worse from a fan perspective because there is nothing loveable or humorous about this team. its a group which is a league-wide joke and it shames a proud franchise. there really is no best-case-scenario for fans because no matter what measure of success this team achieves, not many will really feel much pride in it. but its very hard for most hardcore fans to root for failure so that, for example, sather can be fired. it sounds great in principle, but its damn hard to do when youre at a game, etc. youre torn between being a die-hard, shill out the $$, rain or shine supporter or just stepping back the level of passion and then feeling bad about it.

sorry for the long winded post, i just really cant find fault with most hate-filled, jaded ranger fans at this moment. all i know is itll be sweet as hell when you get out of it and if the day ever comes when both of the NY teams can be classy AND competitve, the rivalry will really be back where it belongs.