Thread: Trautwig on VS?
View Single Post
Old
01-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Well, VS have a relationship with Al from the Tour de France coverage, so perhaps that, along with the work he does with the Rangers, is why they drafted him in.

I like Al. He doesn't necessarily know as much as other 'experts' but he never really pretends to, either. It strikes me that the guy just loves sports and is basically a sponge for information about whatever he is working on. His work for the Rangers is constantly improving, as is his work for the Tour. On the Winter Olympics...he could still use some work. What are the odds he does the upcoming America's Cup coverage? Rather than being a former player or an expert, Al is like watching a superfan who has gotten the best job in the world. He's kind of the anti-Bob Page (whatever happened to that guy and his hilariously bitter rants anyway?).

I also enjoy it when Al gets annoyed with a player for doing something unsportsmanlike or a fan for swearing on camera, like he feels part of his job is to protect all the kids who are watching and he takes it seriously. Love it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote