View Single Post
Old
01-16-2007, 08:52 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Well the picking of Montoya wouldn't have stopped the Rangers from taking Zajac, Wolski, or Meszaros. All three where available at 19 when the Rangers took Korpikoski. Radulov was gone at 15 but, like the other three, he would have been considered a reach at #6 overall.
If you prefer to look at it as Sather screwed up on Korpikoski, that's fine. Korpikoski may turn out to be a good pick. The others I mentioned are already good picks. How good would it be to have Meszaros in our top 6 defensemen now? Zajac and Wolski are already contributing in the NHL and they figure to get better. On a side note, every time I see Parise I think of Jessiman. It's sickening.

The GM and his staff are supposed to be able to evaluate their own talent. By drafting Montoya that high they obviously didn't have much faith in Lundqvist. So we have a very good young goaltender and zero impact forwards on the team. Unless Lundqvist collapses and Montoya goes on to be a star, the pick at number 6 was a mistake in my book.

I get tired of reading the garbage about our young guys not being ready yet when the league is overrun by talented players of the same age group. Either they are incredibly overrated or the putting together of the major league team is incredibly flawed. In either case, Sather is the final decision maker, and neither scenario speaks very well of him.

If all of our "potential" comes through I'll take it back but to date it would be impossible to have done any worse than Sather. By the way, every fan base thinks they have jewels on the horizon.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote