View Single Post
Old
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I think as Dedalus has pointed out, most of the braintrust that was involved in both the '02 & '03 drafts is still in charge. Talk about developing all you want, but again how can you refute that Sather has been here for a good long time, and what is there to show for it? That not one defenseman can break into this assortment of mediocrity? That not one forward can break onto the 2nd line that currently features a pair of 4th liners?

I am a Rangers fan. As thus, patience is my middle name. However, I do not think it much to ask for something besides 4th line grinders, a goalie, a 2nd pairing defenseman and a misused 2nd line sophomore that Sather has shown in his 5-6 years of being in charge of the team.
I think the argument you use is an overblown one. As far as not getting a top liner, it is not the prospects they are getting, but the prospects they refuse to use. Look at Jersey. They have ordinary prospects, prospects who are not really destined for stardom upon being drafted, but they trust them and give them ice. Then, they turn into top liners IE. Gomez, Gionta, Zajac, Parise. Who's to say Prucha cannot be our Gomez or Callahan cannot be our Gionta? Gionta had 65 points in his first 166 games before breaking out. It's not the players they have gotten it comes down to Sather-Renney being sheer cowards. Aside from the obvious, where Hank forced his way into stardom and Tyutin somehow managed his way onto the roster, no other player has been fostered or developed. Hollweg is what he is. He may come around to get 20 points a season or he may get 3, but will still provide the same thing we need every night.

Slice it any way you want, but Dawes and Callahan should be on this roster. Awhile ago I was certain about Baranka, but he's regressed a little and is one that could and is using this year in HFD.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote