View Single Post
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I taught Yoda
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
I would hardly call his even strength defense "abysmal." I've been paying extra attention to him recently due to the criticism i've seen on here, and I'm constantly seeing excellent defensive plays, obvious, or subtle. Using the stick well, great positioning, occasional timely hits. Things that you expect out of one of the most defensively sound players in hockey, he does the little things right.

Don't agree with the Leadership, fire and emotion argument. I'm not sure you can truly measure leadership, too much we don't see or hear to judge that. Besides, I really don't think one needs fire and emotion to be a good athlete. Like what I said above, I feel like i've seen quite a bit from him every night that should be able to motivate his teammates perfectly well. Rampaging bear Shea Weber might be fun to watch, but it also makes him more prone to go to the box. You're not very intimidating or motivating when you're off the ice.
Nobody says he needs to be "rampaging bear" Shea ... but watch his play last night against the Kings and compare it to the Stars game. The physicality level was dramatically different. The facial expressions differed. The impact on the game differed. He negated Kopitar most of the night, especially the 1st. There was a similar change in Fisher's play last night. It's amazing how when the leadership group bothers to show up, the team is competitive. When they don't, we get the last two weeks or so of play where the question isn't if we'll lose but how fast the goalies get chased and how bad the total spread will be.

Hornqvist leads by example every shift. Weber doesn't. Fisher doesn't. I'll base that on 20+ years of serving in leadership positions and developing other leaders.