View Single Post
Old
12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Pred View Post
I'm far more impressed with what Maz demonstrated thus far considering all the of points I've made earlier (age, length of playing goalie, new rink size, new hockey style, new language, and so on). I'm very unimpressed with Hutton.

If Hellberg is better next year, more power to him. Hellberg also has more potential to grow than Hutton. Both Maz and Hell are better investments that Hutton.
All you can talk is next year. For all of the platitudes about Maz's potential, there is nothing that can honestly be said about him currently giving the team a better chance to win based on record, stats, or season to date side by side comparisons. He and Hutton both show flashes of ability that last about 2-3 games then crumble for 5+ games.

There is a reason why Hutton was signed to a one year contract ... he is not the planned backup of the future with Hellberg, Mazanec, Saros, and Juvonen in the pipeline. He was a stopgap, experienced guy projected to start maybe 15 games behind a Vezina finalist while Hellberg and Maz developed in Milwaukee. Nobody had a crystal ball showing Rinne out for a freak infection. It wouldn't matter who was the backup with Rinne's infection, no backup we had in the pipeline or could have signed would fill those skates. Bryz put up worse numbers than Hutton before his injury. Hiller hasn't hit the market. Keeping Mason would have sent the fans howling after the Colorado game last season. Ellis? Bachman? Emery? Thomas? Looking at the signed FAs shows how shallow the pool was this summer.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote