View Single Post
12-30-2013, 04:59 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This upcoming off-season, with all the expiring contracts, presents a rare opportunity for the head office to build something to last. If I were czar of the universe, I would have brought in a new GM at the beginning of this season, giving him a year to assess the roster, formulate a plan for the off-season, and execute. I'm not thrilled with the idea of giving Sather the keys for the 2014 offseason. If Gorton is the heir, let him run things this off-season.
If there is a succession plan in place,Gorton should heavily involved in the personnel decisions. You can say he is already involved. Nick Kypreos reported a few weeks ago on Sportsnet about talk involving changes in the Rangers front office. Sather doesn't want to be the GM going into next season. If its Gorton's ball,he should make the calls. When things go bad,Dolan is going to blame him. Look at what goes on with the Knicks. Sather is teflon with Dolan. If Gorton doesn't want to sign Girardi and/or Callahan to long-term contracts and Sather does,Gorton should get his way. Sather will be in Banff with Ann when the 6/7 year contract has 4/5 years remaining and then it Gorton's problem. Same thing with Richards. Gorton was involved with the Lundqvist contract as with all of the contracts. They agreed to give him 7 years.