View Single Post
Old
01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
cringer

vCash: 500
Jagr has stated that he will retire after his current contract. Are the Rangers realistically going to win a cup this year or next? If not then it would at least be worth investigating what Jagr could fetch in return should he OK a deal to a serious cup contender.

Regarding cherry picking I agree with nyr2k2. Last season, despite scoring over 50 of his 123 points on the power play, he was a +34 (2nd best in the NHL). And while I'm not ready to hand him the Selke trophy... he does back-check on occasion. I've seen it last year and this year.

I can't believe that bad rap Jagr gets sometimes.

This guy at the tender age of 34 is the 12th leading scorer in NHL history. Should he change his mind and decide to play into his late 30's or even 40. It's quite likely that he will pass Mark Messier and land as the NHL's #2 all-time leading scorer. So let him cherry pick once in a while. He makes up for it when he does have the puck. He's either scoring or setting someone up. But how often do you see Jagr get pushed off the puck in traffic or in the corners, even after 15 years in this league - virtually never. He's a truly gifted player.

That said, the Rangers focus should be on winning cups for years to come... that means if they *could* trade Jagr (and Shanahan) at the deadline for an attractive offer... they should at least weigh the options.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote